Using icons within website design can be an effective way to communicate with users. When a visitor first arrives at your website, they will scan the page and quickly decide whether to continue reading. Icons can grab the attention of visitors and draw them to read more and engage with your content.
- Icons make good targets. They are typically sized large enough to be easily touched in a finger-friendly UI.
- Icons save screen estate.
- Icons can be compact enough to allow display more content on a relatively small space.
- Icons are fast to recognize at a glance. This is particularly true for standard icons that people have seen and used before.
- Usually no need to translate icons for international users. Good example is an envilope. It looks the same in various countries.
- Icons enhance the aesthetic appeal of a design. Because they bring visual delight to the user experience.